Amidst all of carry on of yesterday I was treated to a little holiday baking yesterday courtesy of Big Daddy.
Yep, I married a man who is brave enough to bake! He whipped up a batch of butterscotch confetti squares, molasses cookies and chocolate cherry shortbread cookies.
He got his holiday bake on!
One recipe we missed were these peppermint candy cane cookies.These would be fun cookies to make along with your kids, twisting two colours of dough to create a candy cane-like cookie.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup softened shortening
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 or more red food colouring
1. In a bowl mix together flour and salt.
2. In another bowl, beat shortening, margarine and icing sugar until smooth. Beat in an egg until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture and mix dough until dough forms.
3. On lightly floured surface, divide dough into two portions. Knead red food colouring into one portion until well blended. Leave other portion as is.
4. Shape 1 tsp of dough from each half into 4 inch long rope, roll back and forth until smooth and even. Place plain rope and a red rope side by side. Twist together to make candy cane. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. Place canes on cookie sheet and using your hand, curve the top of a cane. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until firm anbd lightly browned.Immediately transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes 4 dozen.
Maybe we will have a chance to make them tonight?
Have you started your holiday baking?