I must say, I am new to this mason jar oatmeal trend that has been taking off the past year.
I am not sure what took me so long to join the bandwagon – refrigerator oatmeal is made in mason jars, stored in mason jars and served in mason jars. Hello, less dishes!!
They make a perfect breakfast for late mornings that the kids may have to eat on the go (just grab a mason jar and spoon) and there is no waiting for the oatmeal to cool down. Really, why did I wait so long to try this out?! Yep, pretty awesome.
Today we are sharing one of our families favourites, Apple Pie mason jar oatmeal.
When I whipped up our first batch of oatmeal the kids came out of hiding to ask what I was baking! They were extremely disappointed when they found out that there wasn’t any pies or apple crumble for them to snack on. This recipe is delicious and honestly the only thing missing is a dollop of ice cream!
- 4 16 oz mason jars
- 4 cups milk (any variety is fine: coconut, cow, almond, etc)
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2-4 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 sweet apples, diced into ½ inch chunks
- Place 1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ginger, ½ tablespoon maple syrup, ¼ cup apple sauce, and 1 tablespoon chia seeds into each mason jar.
- Secure lid and shake each jar until ingredients well combined.
- Open each jar and add ½ oats and ½ chopped apple to each jar. Secure jars closed again and shake well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve in morning cold or can warm up slightly.
- Remember, you can only keep these in the fridge for 2-3 days at the most!
Have you made mason jar oatmeal?
What’s your families favourite flavours?