This Christmas themed popcorn is super easy to make. You can use your own home-popped popcorn or the ready popped variety is fine too, add crushed candy canes & mini marshmallows and you have the perfect snack while the family is snuggled up watching your favourite Christmas movie. Most Candy Cane Popcorn recipes we’ve seen use white chocolate, but I am not a huge fan, so this recipe is more similar to kettle corn, and it is amazingly delicious accented by the bright peppermint flavour. Plus it’s crazy easy to whip up a batch of this Peppermint Candy Cane Popcorn, which makes it the perfect treat to share this holiday season.
How to make Peppermint Candy Cane Popcorn
- 10 cups of Popcorn
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tablespoons of Butter
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- 3 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 4 candy canes crushed
- Begin by melting the butter add the peppermint extract,salt and 3 cups of mini marshmallows together in a large pan stirring until melted.
- Pour about 3/4 of the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn. Using the wooden spoon, gently fold the marshmallow mixture in with the popcorn until it is mostly covered. If you are making your own popcorn be sure not to let any un-popped kernels into the pot (nobody wants a chipped tooth!). Stir gently until popcorn is evenly coated.
- Now pour the popcorn onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Drizzle the remaining marshmallow mixture over the popcorn but do not mix. You will need the mixture at the top so the candy will have something to stick to.
- Don’t wait too long to add the candy!
- Allow the popcorn to cool & break apart into pieces and serve.
- If you desire a stronger candy cane flavour, add 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract to the marshmallows while melting.
- Enjoy warm or spread out on parchment paper to cool and then place in a tin for later.
Here is the candy that we added to our Candy Corn Popcorn. We used 1/2 cup of green mini marshmallows and our crushed candy canes .
Does your family enjoy popcorn for a game night or even a movie night? If you make this Peppermint Candy Cane recipe I’d love to see a photo in the comments below!
So throw on a flick, curl up in a blankest, and eat some flavoured popcorn.
Your inner child will thank you!