Carving out time to spend with your family seems like a no-brainer, right? But with busy lives it can feel like we are all being pulled in 14 different directions and our kids are feeling it too which can make it hard to dedicated family time. You can start by setting aside a couple of hours each week to spend together. But then comes the dreaded “What do you want to do?” “I don’t know, what do YOU want to do?”
Never fear, I’ve got 10 ideas to jump-start your family night festivities!
1. Movie Night popcorn bar. If your family loves movie nights and popcorn, then this popcorn bar is the perfect way to take it up a notch. Just set out a giant bowl of popcorn and your favourite toppings and mix-ins and let everyone make their own personalized bowl of yummy goodness.
2. Star Gazing. Spread out some blankets and do some star watching. Print out some constellations maps and try and see if you can find them in the sky.
3. Game Night. This one seems like another obvious choice, but there are ways to make it more interesting, like playing for chores or other silly things (if you lose you have to do 10 jumping jacks – that sort of thing).
4. Bon fires. Don’t forget the s’mores! Nothing is more fun then telling stories, singing songs and roasting marshmallows over an open flame. Now that the summer heat is behind us the weather is perfect!
5.Taste Testing Night. Here’s a fun (and yummy) family night idea- host your own taste testing party. Every wonder which brand is the best? Make it your family mission to find out! It doesn’t matter if it’s popcorn, pizza, soda, ice cream or anything else- just get 4 different brands and use the printable score cards to record your results.
6. Go on a Scavenger hunt. Choose a route through your neighbourhood and beyond and take a walk together. Give each person a bag to take with them to collect items they find along the way. When you get back home, make individual collages or even one big collage of your treasures.
7. Colour Together. Break out the colouring books and crayons. Some of the best conversations happen this way! Plus it’s a great way to unwind and kick off some stress. Staying in the lines is totally optional.
8. Family Nerf Gun Battle– Grab some nerf guns and plan a friendly family battle. You can even divide into teams and have everyone get dressed in their “team colour.” You can get started with some fun target practice games to kick start your “Nerf War.”
9. Family Slumber Party– Here’s another super easy one to pull off. Just blow up an air mattress and stick it in the living room for a fun family sleep over. Or if you don’t have an air mattress, grab some sleeping bags or even just blankets and pillows. We popped popcorn, watched a movie, and played a couple of games until all the kids were fast asleep.
10. kite flying. One of our favourite family days in the fall and it’s also one of the easiest. Kites are simple to make too so if you don’t have one you can make one with the kids before heading outside!
My husband and I made a commitment to spend more quality time with our children this year and we want to be there to create new memories they will hang on to forever. Most of these ideas are some that we have already done before so if you can think of some new ones that your family loves I would love to hear about it in the comments below.